The Kaleidoscapes is an eco-theatre company dedicated to performing accessible storytelling and facilitating experiential learning in nontraditional spaces with those most affected by the climate crisis.
These values come directly from our mission and our commitment to being a people-first organization. We adhere to our mission and value statements in every decision. We post them here for you to read, as transparency in our work is paramount. This is a living document that reflects our goals at this moment in time. We welcome suggestions and questions at any point. If you like any of this language you are welcome to recycle and cite us in your own work.
- We value the well-being of our staff and artistic teams and encourage an open dialogue to create a sustainable work environment that best meets their needs.
- We value BIPOC artists and leadership and work on an ongoing basis to subvert the systemic racism which so much environmental work has been based upon.
- We value LGBTQ+ artists and leadership and proudly welcome members of the queer community to interact with our work.
- We value the physical and emotional safety of our performers; we pledge to provide a qualified stage combat director and intimacy designer whenever necessary. We also pledge to involve these creatives at the start of our process and not as an afterthought.
- We value the work of every person in our employment and seek to provide competitive and livable compensation.
- We value conflict as a source of progress and effective art; so if any disagreement with our work should arise, we welcome constructive discussion.
- We value those individuals who use a visual language to communicate. We will require our staff members to be able to sign the alphabet and will provide necessary interpretation when requested and whenever available.
- We value the presence of people with disabilities and those who are differently abled and will work to provide physical or other forms of assistance to ensure the participation of all audiences.
- We will inquire about the accessibility needs of our partnered communities and work to expand our capacity to serve all people.
- We value a culture that offers equitable access to outdoor spaces and professional storytelling and will seek to increase accessibility to historically underserved audiences.
- We will conduct operations with “campsite rules” and “leave no trace principles” in mind, leaving all things better than we found them.
- We are conscious of the waste that we could place in the world and will work to sustainably source and reuse our materials for our productions, our administrative needs, and our marketing.
- We recognize that land has a natural and social history and acknowledge its traditional Native inhabitants. We honor the Native land on which we operate and where we may perform.
- We value our Earth as a living organism and work to foster loving relationships between land and people.
- We value the voices of our audience members and commit to facilitating dialogue around our creative content. We will also provide supplemental materials for further learning about the topics discussed in our performances.
- We value the various species that we may portray in our productions. We will work to include their observable behavior in our depictions with an openness to continued scientific research.
- We value and celebrate the work of scientists across the globe and will use scientific research as a foundation for our creative work.
- We value the impact of expanding or activating an audience’s imagination for possibilities in our planet’s future.
- We value the stories, both traditional and contemporary, of our surrounding communities, and intend to collaborate with local artists of different cultures.
- We value other organizations that are advocating for the Earth and its communities, and we will work to create a legacy of engaged volunteers for those organizations.
- We value the opportunity to engage many different disciplines and practitioners and will work to protect diversity in our ensembles and approach.